Wednesday, January 1, 2014

Kickstarters: 2014 edition or late the lateness continue!

So as 2014 officially starts off, let the bitching begin:

Tectonic Craft Studios: Says stuff has been sent. Some reports of it being seen in the wild. Haven't seen mine yet. Somewhat annoying as I made a separate purchase earlier to show support and posted some stuff over on my miniature blog. Hope the stuff comes with instructions and that the various Q&A problems aren't widespread.

Dwimmermount: Tavis bounces up and down on this one. I think if he manages to get this and Domains at War finished, he should get out of the RPG pre-order business via Kickstarter. It's not that he's not a good guy or that he's not trying, but by his own admission his kids are doing what kids do, and that's eat time. You thought time elementals were bad? They got nothing on newborns. And again, if James hadn't been so late BEFORE his real world issues took over and dropped this in Tavis' lap, maybe it wouldn't be going on seventeen months late. Maybe.

Steampunk Musha: Well, ANOTHER round of apologies while the guy starts a separate Indigogo campaign to earn some funds. Can't blame the guy for wanting to make some money as everyone gotta eat and all that but notice he didn't do it on Kickstarter. I can only imagine that it wouldn't have ended well. We'll see if he keeps to it in terms of keeping people updated. This is another instance of a small company, basically one dude, just like Tavis at Dwimmermount, getting kicked in the face repeatedly by life. It happens but if you're not ready for it to happen, don't take people's money? Just saying.

Assimilation Alien Host: Man, another small company, another dude kicked in the face repeatedly. I hope that 2014 is better to this guy. He's a great sculptor, if his material actually can get you know, working in a timely fashion, it may have some real big potential but given all we've seen so far? I'll be happy to have these alien critters but would probably never support anything in a preorder style from him again.

Relic Knight: Lots of he said she said nonsense on this and bad customer service all around afaic. It's not going to make it out anytime sooner than March I bet. Maybe. Maybe April with the way shipping works. But hey, thank god they saved all of that money by doing this stuff in China and didn't have any quality issues eh? Oh wait, they did.... several times...

Cthulhu Mythos Foundry Style: Ah, half year anniversary mark. I'd love to see this one actually get out in the wild. It looks like a great figure. Guy did send out the other stuff and that was good for him because it saved HIM shipping money as old US about to raise price of stamps again. When shipments go down they'll probably complain about it again but it's a viscious circle.

Drake: M'eh? Dudes doing it have tremendous energy but I'm bored of their energy. Results, not how excited you are about them will be more impressive at this time. I'm actually at the point where I'm like, "Man, why did I back this again?" Hopefully when I get the sculpts I'll be like, "Ah man, that is awesome!" but as that hasn't happened with any miniature game I've got yet I doubt it. Mind you I'm not saying there won't be some great sculpts in it or anything like that, but is 1650 or other games like Carnivale taking the world by storm? Crickets you say?

Fractured Dimensions: Nothing like seeing all the sculpts you ordered complete except for the exclusive stuff and having updates that keep putting those exclusive sculpts further and further out. Unless there is some assurance from the company in question that the exclusives are getting done first, never ordering them again. It's bullshit.

Tablescapes: I don't even know if I should count this one late as it's like, "Well dudes, the original table was supposed to be in October, not the stretch goals." which of course I ordered but hell, I see it in my feed so threw it out there.

Domains At War: When you like work done by someone, you want to support it. This is however, 3 that I've supported by Tavis and all three have been late so never again a preorder from him. If it's out in the store and I like the sound of it, I'll look it over. Kickstarter anything by him? No.

Dungeon Crawler: Yeah, sounds like this one gets hit by the China bug of "Oh you mean you want it last year" as opposed to quality or communication issues causing it to bubble out into probably... let's guess April of 2014.

Kingdom Death: Another one that's hit by the China bug but at least unlike Relic Knights, the Q&A seems to be happening NOW as opposed to six months down the road where the creator then goes, "Hey guys, remember how we told you it was going to be five months for now, well, hey, there are some quality issues that maybe we should have caught, you know five months ago." We'll see how it goes. As time goes on, my willingness to back anything that comes from China drops. Too much drama and too much creator blabbing that its out of the control. Hey, do something in your control next time then eh?

I'm sure I'm missing out on some. I think Cthulhu Wars is also late but I'm too lazy to look it up.

So that's my first look at Kickstarters in 2014. Strangely enough, I've slowed down on supporting these things tremendously. When I can wait for sales, and wait for closeouts, and use old e-bay to get stuff NOW at prices that are for all purposes fantastic, why do the Kickstarter thing?




Project Name Due Date Date Late Days Late Months
Tectonic Craft Studios 6/1/2012 1/1/2014 -579 -19
Dwimmermount 8/1/2012 1/1/2014 -518 -17
Steampunk Musha 10/1/2012 1/1/2014 -457 -15
Imbrian Arts Miniatures 3/1/2013 1/1/2014 -306 -10
Assimilation Alien Host 5/1/2013 1/1/2014 -245 -8
Relic Knights 5/1/2013 1/1/2014 -245 -8
Cthulhu Mythos Foundy Style 7/1/2013 1/1/2014 -184 -6
Drake The Dragon Wargame 7/1/2013 1/1/2014 -184 -6
Fractured Dimensions 8/1/2013 1/1/2014 -153 -5
Tablescapes 10/1/2013 1/1/2014 -92 -3
Domains At War 10/1/2013 1/1/2014 -92 -3
Dungeon Crawler 11/1/2013 1/1/2014 -61 -2
Kingdom Death 11/1/2013 1/1/2014 -61 -2

No comments:

Post a Comment