Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Weapons of India

I take no credit for the below. On the Reaper miniature forums, people were discussing what types of miniatures they'd like to see. One poster broght up the wealth of unique weapons that India has.

Some of them I've seen before in manga like Berserk, which has a wide variety of inspiration behind it. Others I've used in my home brew editions back in the 80's and early 90's, inspired in part by Palladium books various weapon and armor compendiums.

So without further rambling, some links to some cool looking weapons that will make characters, both players and NPCs, stand out from the crowd.

Urumi : I've seen this whip/cat-o-nine tails used in the Berserk manga. Good stuff.

Katara: The Wilderlands had a demon banishing version of this weapon in one of those various small booklets I had when I was a young man.

Pata: I could be getting really senile here, but I'm 99.9% certain that Willo's Mad Martigan wielded one of thoese for a brief period of time.


There are a ton of unique weapons out there if you're fortunate enough to stumble over them as I was today. The real trick comes in making the cool magic items and heroes who yielded them to make the players stumble over each other in their desire to get them.

1 comment:

  1. Yeah, Indian weapons are pretty far-out. I particularly like the "Hindu basket hilt" which is basket-hilt with a bit of a spur you can grip with the other hand bastard-sword style. They occur on both swords and maces.

    I also like all the recurved swords, and the crazy mace-heads, and vicious punch daggars (katar or katara). And kuhkris but I guess they are pretty familiar to the D&D crowd nowadays, having been featured in 3 and 4e.

    And chakrams? Crazy stuff.

    ReplyDelete