Thursday, December 2, 2010

Algrim Durarr: An Essentials Cleric

Well, the standard game I'm in on Friday's has wound down ast he GM has found himself a job! Congrats on him in that field.

This left our group puzzled for a few moments. The two... dare I say it, 'good' GMs, not counting the current one, are working fifty plus hours a week and while we can make it to play, GMing is a whole different thing. So our 'standard' GM picks up the pace. This guy also works, and he GMs a fair even game, but he sometimes lacks the pizzaz that others bring.

But when it comes to running the game like clock work? He's on top of it so I'll take the old slow and steady versus spectacular burn out.

However, this left me in a bit of a pickle. Wizards of the Coast decided that too many people were stealing the old Character Builder and decided to just charge people for the beta online version they have. As a long time customer, I personally felt lied to about the updates and had a few days to play with the online version and yeah, it's a beta. So I dropped my subscription. Perhaps I'll pick it up again in the future when things are ironed out and its no longer beta.

In the meanwhile, that meant I had to... gasp... read my book. I like dwarves. One of my old friends, GM, and player at times, Mike Quon, ran a hell of a game and dwarves were a huge feature in it. He had several named characters, various clans, famous artifacts and other goods. Besides, the other players were already running heavy on the strikers and defenders so I figured I'm either going to run with the cleric or run with the wizazrd.

I went with the dwarf clerci.

Let me tell you old timers, those playing 4e today don't realize how good they have it. Your primary stat as a cleric, Wisdom, is used for all sorts of things. It's not like 1st, 2nd, or 3rd edition D&D where it's always better to have several high scores. Don't get me wrong, it doesn't hurt in 4e either, but your primary attacks are almost all based off of that one stat. You don't have to worry about having a high strength to hit, or a high con for those hit points.

Mind you, the bonuses in 3rd and 4th come a lot sooner than the did in previous editions anyway, and they're equal across the board. No more having that high strength and constitution but it being useless because you were not a fighter class.

Anyway, I already have a figure picked out, but not yet painted for this storm cleric who I've named Algrim Durarr;

No comments:

Post a Comment